Monday, May 15, 2017

The Shape I'm In...

Romans 8:29 "God knew what he was doing from the very beginning. He decided from the outset to shape the lives of those who love him along the same lines as the life of his Son. The Son stands first in the line of humanity he restored. We see the original and intended shape of our lives there in him. " The Message

Yesterday was Mother's Day. Our family sat around telling stories for two evenings in a row. My Mom and I reminisced about my early childhood shyness and attachment to her and the weird ways this played out. Apparently, My kindergarten teacher expressed to my mom that I was isolating myself at school so in an attempt to help me connect with friends, my mom planned a little party at our house. When the "friends" arrived I brought my toys out to them and then went and hid behind my bedroom door. This is kind of how life has continued to challenge me. I am an introvert...and that's Ok but humanity is meant for relationship, and relationship can be a scary and difficult thing for anyone!

Just like getting in physical shape takes discipline, self-control and perhaps an excellent coach and roll model. Getting in better relational shape is work! It takes effort and intention.
It takes courage and inspiration.
At the core of being human, is this truth: we are all made for relationship, with God and with others. And so, I must continue working out my faith to get into better shape. The shape I was made for.
Jesus was in perfect spiritual and relational shape. His life with God and others demonstrates exactly what being human is all about: faith, love, goodness, kindness, joy, peace, patience...and self-control spilling out onto others. The shape of Jesus life, was the shape of God's heart...and the shape our life is meant to take.
 Jesus is the perfect coach and the ideal role model, and we can study his spiritual fitness plan in the way he related to others in the Gospels.
If I love God, I will want to be like Jesus and if I am like Jesus, I will become better and better at loving people,
 so they can see the shape of His heart.

Luke 1:1-4 "So many others have tried their hand at putting together a story of the wonderful harvest of Scripture and history that took place among us, using reports handed down by the original eyewitnesses who served this Word with their very lives. Since I have investigated all the reports in close detail, starting from the story’s beginning, I decided to write it all out for you, most honorable Theophilus" (whose name means 'one who loves God'), "so you can know beyond the shadow of a doubt the reliability of what you were taught." The MSG
                                   "Everything was created through him (Jesus);
                                                 nothing—not one thing!—
                                               came into being without him.
                                          What came into existence was Life,
                                            and the Life was Light to live by.
                                        The Life-Light blazed out of the darkness;
                                             the darkness couldn’t put it out." 
                                                John 1: 3-5 The MSG

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts!