Thursday, September 28, 2017

Relationship Status - Part Two

If I said Jesus was perfect; would you agree?
If I said Jesus was the perfect friend;
would you also agree?
If I said Jesus' hurt his friends;
what would you say to that?
If God is love and Jesus the perfect representation of all the Father is, then in experiencing Jesus, His friends experienced perfect love. Yet there are multiple interactions reported in the Gospels that seem to confuse, disappoint and hurt Jesus' "friends";
interactions that would certainly confuse me if I were there...or if I were them.
But I don't need their stories to wonder at the ways of Jesus, I have my own; we all do.
Times when I might say like His mother: "Why have you treated us this way?"
Or, question Him like Mary and Martha: "Where were you?"
Or want to give up on him like Judas because He just isn't what I thought.
Jesus hurt His friends. 
So what does that tell us about His love? What does it reveal about our "status" with Him?
Are we mistaken in our hope of His goodness?
Are we mislead in our confidence of our relationship with Him?
Could He be as good and loving as we hope and still let us down?
John 11:5-6 "Now Jesus loved Martha and her sister and Lazarus. So when He heard Lazarus was sick, He stayed two days longer in the place where He (Jesus) was."
Jesus' love for His friends compelled Him not to come when they called.
Allowing enough time to pass for His friend to suffer and die, Jesus then decided to go to them.
Contradicting and risking His other friends, the twelve in Jn. 11:9-11, I think Jesus was saying: "There is always enough time to do exactly what needs to be done...and we don't need to hurry to every crisis or worry about the consequences if we are walking in the understanding that God gives. There is a time for everything and now (not before now) is the time to help our friend. " Jesus was always on mission. John 10: 41-42
Then He goes and does exactly what He promised to begin with when He said, John 11: 4 "This sickness will not end in death."
Martha impresses me as a "take control" kind of woman. Jesus had not come until it seemed too late, and Martha confronted Him. Mary was so hurt she couldn't even bring herself to go to him at first.
Jesus reassured Martha that it is never too late for God to "show up" and make things right.
Even if the worst happens, it is never too late for Jesus to come through for His friends,
"I am the resurrection and the life; he who believes in Me will live even if he dies." Jn 11:25
But we don't want the worst to happen! We don't want Him to make up for suffering, we want to prevent it. It seems a cruel joke for Him to call Himself "Savior" and Friend and then choose to wait to step in! 
But Jesus says "I am GLAD for your sakes that I was not there, so that you may believe..."
His goodness and love always have the bigger picture in mind and the bigger picture is not just a shallow "Jesus is my friend and does what I want"; but a deep and profound trust that "Jesus is my Savior and does what I need". No matter what happens, He WILL make all things right; and when we fall at His feet like Mary, He will weep with us for the pain and work that we may see and believe and in believing
be saved.
No one can experience a real friendship with Jesus without the salvation that comes through trusting Him first.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts!