Saturday, December 13, 2014

Who decorates your family tree?



John 17:20 “My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, 21 that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. 22 I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one 23 I in them and you in me—so that they may be brought to complete unity. Then the world will know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me."

There has been much discussion over the years about our family tree. Mystery lies within the line of Phil and the line of Jill!
Like any family tree, it is full of names both familiar and unfamiliar...storied and over-looked...compelling and sad.
Our family tree has lost branches,
mended broken ones
grafted in new ones...
that carry the family name.

There's been much discussion about Jesus' family tree as well. Mystery lies within the pages of Matthew and Luke...the line of Joseph and the line of Mary.
An ancestry full of no-names, big-names, good-names and bad-names.
Jesus Christ, Son of God, flesh of Mary's family tree
grafted into Joseph's line,
to redeem the lost
mend the broken
and graft His family back together.
So that we may be called by His name...
Christ-ian.

And so, our family celebrates the coming of Christ at Christmas.
His grace and beauty glow from our family tree, not because we are big-names or good-names;
not in spite of our no-names and bad names...
but because we carry His name.

Eph. 3:14 For this reason I kneel before the Father, 15 from whom every family[a] in heaven and on earth derives its name. 16 I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, 17 so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, 18 may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, 19 and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.
20 Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, 21 to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts!