Thursday, September 18, 2014

Gen. 3: 11-13 "Who?"- Shame part 2

Wearing shame.
It's revealing!
Revealing my own awareness of what I am not and what I am but wish I weren't, shame is sometimes  a result of accurate self-assessment and sometimes it is not.

My weaknesses make me feel shame. Every day provides ample opportunity for me to want to hide in the bushes. "I'm worthless. I'm pointless. I'm completely incapable." As a result, my gut response to confrontation is defensiveness: 
"Oh please don't tell me I let you down! Of course I did. I always do. I'm a failure. I'm...
ashamed."
My inadequacies cause other people hassle and pain; so I'd rather just go into hiding.
Joking and apathy are good hiding places; 
isolation is too.
When all else fails, blame may do the job.
Just like in the very first confrontation between God and man, 
following the very first game of hide and seek, blame became a tool of self-defense.

God: "Who?"

Adam: "...It was you! It was the woman!"
Eve: "...It was the serpent"

"Blaming or denigrating others serves to disown what the shameful person feels. Shame may lead a person to make attributions about others that are disguised attempts to restore a positive self-view or hide negative self-perceptions. In order to escape shame's self-diminishing effects, a person might instead denigrate others or express contempt toward them. Thus a person might attempt to bolster his own view of himself by finding flaws in others so that they become the one who is shameful." by Mary C. Lamia, Ph.D.

God in His infinite grace and mercy has compassion on us.

 Psalm 103: "An earthly father expresses love for his children;
    it is no different with our heavenly Father;
The Eternal shows His love for those who revere Him.
14 For He knows what we are made of;
    He knows our frame is frail, and He remembers we came from dust."



Psalm 100:3  "Know that the Lord, he is God!
It is he who made us, and we are his;
we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture."

"Psalm 139: 13-14 "For You shaped me, inside and out.
    You knitted me together in my mother’s womb long before I took my first breath.
14 I will offer You my grateful heart, for I am Your unique creation, filled with wonder and awe.
    You have approached even the smallest details with excellence;
    Your works are wonderful;
I carry this knowledge deep within my soul." The Voice


You see a "positive self-view" cannot start with the self and cannot end with the self. It must start with the One who made us and must end with the One who saves us. 


Ephesians 1:4 "...He chose us in Him, before the foundation of the world, to be holy and blameless in His sight;"


Here's my take on a personal conversation following my own games of hide and seek-

Me: "Shake it off
the shame that plagues me
strip myself from
shame that weighs
Feigning virtues, 
blush betrays me
But I will not be 
the one to blame!"

Jesus: "Pick it up
and lay it on me!
stripped, I bore
the guilt that slays
claiming virtue
Love compels me
I'll be the One
to take your blame."


Isaiah 30:18The Voice (VOICE)

18     Meanwhile, the Eternal One yearns to give you grace and boundless compassion;
        that’s why He waits.
    For the Eternal is a God of justice.
        Those inclined toward Him, waiting for His help, will find happiness.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts!